FAQs, or Frequently Asked Questions
We get a lot of questions at Lauren’s Garden Service. Here are a few of the common ones that we get, along with answers to the questions. We will add to this list when we get more frequently asked questions.
Q: Who comes out to do the estimate?
Q: What type of workers work for the company?
A: Local gardeners trained in eco-friendly gardening techniques, all speaking English as a first language.
Q: What type of work does your company do?
A: All aspects of landscaping from design, installation and maintenance of gardens, native gardens, rain gardens, stone work (such as patios, retaining walls, ponds, raised beds, walkways), conservation landscaping, rain barrels, seasonal flowers, bulb plantings, container gardens, and so much more!
Q: What makes your company unique among all the other landscaping companies?
A: We pride ourselves on being as environmentally friendly as possible by installing native plants, not using any herbicides or pesticides EVER, using permaculture and sustainability practices, among many other environmentally sound practices. We also take pride in our client communications. We maintain contact with clients throughout the process of the services that they request and are very responsive to our clients needs. We are great listeners and are detail oriented. Lauren has a skill in matching your taste and your budget to what will thrive on your property.
Q: What is the timeline for getting the garden service that I would like?
A: The typical timeline is as follows:
- You contact us with your information and the services you would like.
- We will contact you within one-two business days to set up an estimate date for Lauren and you to meet.
- Depending on how busy the season is, the time frame for actually meeting with Lauren for the estimate from when you initially contacted us is usually about 1-2 weeks.
- After the in-person estimate with Lauren, she will send you an estimate. Depending on the type of work you are requesting, the estimate may be sent out the same day as the in-person estimate, or a few days later if there is some creativity involved. If you are looking for a new garden design Lauren will give you the amounts and sizes of plants that she recommends. Once you confirm the project she will let you know the plant specifics that she recommends. You will then get the email sent to you that includes the sizes and quantities of specific plantings. Email us back to confirm that you like the suggestions or have some requests for changes.
- After the estimate has been sent to you, you can either confirm the estimate, or let us know what changes you would like done and Lauren will send you an updated estimate.
- Once the estimate has been confirmed and you like the plants and design that Lauren created, and you sent in your deposit (if applicable), then we can put you on our calendar! Your scheduled work is usually put on our calendar within 2-3 weeks from when you confirmed the work, allowing time for your plants to be hand selected from local nurseries.
Q: Do I have to be home for the estimate?
A: We would always love to meet our potential clients face-to-face, so it is preferred that you be home for the estimate. Depending on the type of work you are requesting and whether we have been to your property before or not, you may not need to be home for the estimate. If you give us a detailed explanation of what you want done then Lauren can stop by and take a look and give you an estimate without being home.
Q: I liked the estimate, now how do I actually confirm this?
A: Please send in a 1/3 deposit and email or call us to let us know that you approve. The instructions and address for mailing the deposit are all in the estimate that we email to you.
Q: Do I have to be home for the scheduled work?
A: No- Lauren does a detailed estimate and shows the crew all of the work to be done- she is thorough! Due to the weather, clients adding work the day of, the nature of the work and the fact that some jobs take longer or shorter than proposed, the schedule it always fluctuating. It is difficult for us to pin down an exact start time. Please let us know 1 week in advance if you need to be home for your scheduled work so we can make special arrangements for scheduling.
Q: Are you a plant nursery?
A: We are not a plant nursery. However, we do hand pick all the plants that we install from local nurseries. We make sure that the plants that we install are healthy, pest and disease free and beautiful!
Q: What kind of guarantee do you provide for the plants that you install?
A: We can guarantee that the plants will be disease and pest free. Once the plants are installed on your property, it is up to you to water and maintain the plants to get them established. We recommend monthly or seasonal maintenance by us for newly planted garden beds. If a plant starts to decline you can email us a photo and we can try to help you determine the cause. We can replace plants at cost but cannot offer a full guarantee/replacement program because we are a small business and not the wholesale grower of the plants.
Q: I see that you offer maintenance services.
A: Yes! We can come out weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or every other month to maintain your property with our maintenance services. We also offer fall and spring clean-up services. We cater the program to your individual property.
Q: It looks like my plants are being eaten. Help!
A: We do our best to install plants that are deer and rabbit resistant. They don’t read the lists and it is hard to predict what or where they will eat sometimes. If you notice that your plants are being nibbled on, we suggest using natural spray deterrents that will help keep away animals that are nibbling, as well as being pet friendly. Deer Off and Liquid Fence are two that work well. The main issue is applying it regularly. Some clients have had success with a sprinkler that is motion activated that turns on to deter the deer at night when they trip the sensor. U posts with wildlife netting can also deter critters while your plants get established!
Don’t see your question here? Contact us and we will be happy to answer!